Bring a taste of Southern cooking home!
Recipe contributed by Millie Peartree.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided (10 tablespoons melted, 2 tablespoons at room temperature)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
BBQ Pulled Chicken:
- 1 ½ tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons jerk paste (such as grace or walker wood)
- 1½ to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 4 small or 2 large*
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Collard Green Slaw:
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5.3 ounces plain full-fat greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- ½ head shredded red cabbage
- ½ bunch shredded collard greens
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cut into matchsticks
- ½ cup store-bought crispy shallots, for serving
For the Cornbread:
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan or cast iron skillet with 2 tablespoons room temperature butter.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, vanilla, and ½ cup of the melted butter.
Make a well in the center of your dry ingredients and slowly whisk in the wet ingredients until combined and a smooth batter forms.
Pour the batter into the greased pan. Bake until golden brown on top and a tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
In a medium bowl, combine the honey and remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Brush the cornbread with melted honey butter mixture. Serve the cornbread while hot with chicken and slaw on top.
For the BBQ Pulled Chicken:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Combine all of the ingredients except the chicken in a large bowl and stir together until combined.
Place the chicken into a 9x13-inch baking dish and pour the sauce over the chicken. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes until the chicken is caramelized and browned and reads 165ºF on a meat thermometer.
Shred the chicken with two forks and serve over the cornbread.
Note: If the sauce doesn’t cook down enough, then add the sauce to a saucepan and cook over medium heat until thickened (10 to 15 minutes).
For the Collard Green Slaw:
In a large bowl whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, greek yogurt, sugar, mustard and celery seeds. Add the red cabbage and collards. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss the apple in right before serving.
Serve the cornbread with the chicken and slaw on top with crispy shallots.